This year celebrates 125years of Crufts. So how did it all begin??

CruftsCrufts is named after its founder Charles Cruft. The young Charles left college in 1876 with no desire to join the family jewellery business. Instead he took employment with James Spratt who had set up a new venture in Holborn, London selling ‘dog cakes’.

Charles Cruft was ambitious and a relatively short apprenticeship as an office boy led to promotion to travelling salesman. This brought him into contact with large estates and sporting kennels. His next career move with Spratts saw him travelling to Europe and here in 1878, French dog breeders, perhaps seeing entrepreneurial talents in Cruft, invited him to organise the promotion of the canine section of the Paris Exhibition. He was still just two years out of college.

Back in England in 1886 he took up the management of the Allied Terrier Club Show at the Royal Aquarium, Westminster. It was in 1891 that the first Cruft’s show was booked into the Royal Agricultural Hall in Islington and it has evolved and grown ever since.



1891 – The first Cruft’s show in that name takes place at the Royal Agricultural Hall, Islington with 2,437 entries and 36 breeds.

1918–1920 – Cruft’s is not held due to the First World War.

1928 – Best in Show award starts. The first winner is a Greyhound called Primley Sceptre.

1932 – First female owner of Best in Show, Lorna Countess Howe with Labrador Retriever, Bramshaw Bob.

1936 – Charles Cruft celebrates his Golden Jubilee five years early, breaking the 10,000 entries mark for the first time.

1938 – Charles Cruft dies. His widow, Emma Cruft takes over the running of the show.

1942-7 –Cruft’s is not held due to the Second World War.

1948 – The first Cruft’s Show under Kennel Club auspices takes place after Emma Cruft gives over control. Held at Olympia, it proves an immediate success with both exhibitors and the public, with eighty-four breeds entered, almost double the number of breeds at the first Cruft’s in 1891. Since then Crufts has increased in stature year by year, now attracting around 200 breeds annually.

1950 – Cruft’s first televised by the BBC.

1952 – The death of King George VI on 6th February threatens the possibility of the cancellation of Cruft’s for that year but the show is allowed to take place two days later.

1954 – Electricians strike action leads to the show being cancelled, as electricians refuse to disconnect the stands from the previous show held at Olympia, and the venue can therefore not be cleared to make way for the Cruft’s.

1955 – Cruft’s becomes an Obedience Championship Show. Working Sheepdogs are entered, becoming the first crossbreeds to compete at Cruft’s. Crossbreed dogs are now a central part of the show, taking part in a wide range of competitions including agility.

1961 – Entries break the 15,000 mark for the first time

1972 – During the Winter of Discontent, Cruft’s 1972 takes place under subdued lighting and with an abbreviated catalogue due to the 3 day working week which had been enforced. As one commentator says: “For two days every visitor was able to forget the troubles of the world.”

1974 – Cruft’s changes to Crufts, during a rebrand as it is decided that the apostrophe is no longer needed.

1978 – Agility first demonstrated at Crufts.

1979 – The show moves to Earls Court as the increasing number of entries had the show outgrowing its former venue at Olympia.

1980 – First official Agility competition at Crufts – with the move comes a new atmosphere at the event.

1982 –The show is extended to three days to accommodate the increasing numbers of dogs and spectators.

1985 – The Kennel Club Junior Organisation is launched. Now the Young Kennel Club (YKC). Its competitions form an important part of the current dfs Crufts show.

1987 – The show is extended to four days to accommodate further increases in the number of dogs and spectators.

1988 – More than 110,000 people come through the doors making Crufts not only the biggest Dog Show, but also the most popular show to be held at Earls Court.

1990 – Flyball first demonstrated.

1991 – Crufts Centenary Show is held at its new venue, the Birmingham National Exhibition Centre – the first time the show had moved from London.

1992 – Mary Ray demonstrates her fast moving Heelwork to Music routine. She is now a regular performer at the event.

1994 – Discover Dogs area is introduced to Crufts as part of the Kennel Club’s commitment to encouraging responsible dog ownership, enabling dog loving visitors at the show to find out more about the different breeds and how they may fit into their lifestyle. Good Citizen Dog Scheme Ring introduced to Crufts, enabling dogs to demonstrate their pet obedience credentials, and owners their responsible attitude to dog ownership, through obtaining a range of certificates from bronze to gold.

2000 – Rescue Dog Agility introduced to the show, enabling rescue dogs to shine in the fun and fast paced demonstration.

2001 – Crufts moved from March to May due to Foot and Mouth disease. The International Agility Competition takes place at Crufts for the first time.

2004 – The popular competition Friends for Life Competition first appeared, then called Hero Dogs. The popular annual competition ensures that man’s best friend gets the recognition he deserves for bravery, support and companionship. The Southern Golden Retriever Display Team appears at Crufts for the first time and this has been part of the event every year since.

2007 – As the event continues to grow, the Arena is used for the first time, for competitions including Agility, Friends for Life and Best in Show.

2008 – Crufts develops its own Facebook page, now with more than 35,000 fans. Cani cross, canine cross country, is introduced to Crufts for the first time as people look for ever more ways to get fit with their dogs.

2009 – Crufts streamed online for the first time and became the most watched channel on You Tube in the UK. The Health Zone is introduced, with breed and scientific experts providing information and advice about breed health and scientific advances. Judges are given the power to remove unhealthy dogs from the show ring and show monitors may report dogs that they fear are unhealthy to the show vet, who can order their exclusion from competition. Breed rescue charities, the unsung heroes of the dog world are given a high profile area, so that the public could find out more about their work. They are supported by the Kennel Club Charitable Trust.

2010 – dfs becomes the principal sponsor and the event is renamed dfs Crufts. More 4 becomes broadcast partner, providing one hour of footage a night and two hours on Sunday.

2011 – The Health Zone is renamed Breeding for the Future which, run in conjunction with the Animal Health Trust, includes information about the latest work that the Kennel Club and the Animal Health Trust are conducting to improve breed health. dfs Crufts 2011 sees the launch of the revolutionary Mate Select service. This service allows breeders to check the potential outcome of hypothetical matings online so that they can work out which matings will maintain genetic diversity and therefore be best for the future health of their breed and ultimately, which matings will produce the healthiest offspring. Get Fit With Fido 2011 launched in partnership with Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness Clubs – the campaign aims to help dog owners to find new and interesting ways to keep themselves and their dogs fit and healthy. Display of Bull Breeds from Wood Green Animal Shelter in the Good Citizen Dog Training Scheme Ring to highlight the plight of these dogs, often bought as status symbols and then abandoned. More4 named as broadcast partner for 2011.

2012 – As an additional safety net to complement the 2009 vet checks, it is announced that Best of Breed winners and champions in the 15 high profile breeds, which may have a tendency to suffer from health problems due to exaggerated features, will need to be vet checked before their awards are confirmed from Crufts 2012 onwards.